Saturday, May 3, 2008

Welcome to Saturday Morning TV Zombies

What is a "Saturday Morning TV Zombie"? With a name that descriptive, do I really need to explain? Okay, maybe if you're 50 or older or 20 or younger, you might need some help.


I was born in 1967 and was privileged to have lived through the Golden Age of Saturday morning television. My earliest memories of sitting in front of the television on a Saturday morning date to somewhere around 1972. I recall watching "Run, Joe, Run" and "Big John, Little John" with my older sister. She pretty much called the shots on what we watched, but fortunately, she was 4 years older then me and grew out of Saturday morning TV long before I did.

I was mesmerized by the myriad of cartoon and live-action offerings the 3 major networks provided. Krofft Supershow, Land of the Lost, Superfriends, Thundarr the Barbarian, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Flash Gordon, the ABC Weekend Special and of course that staple of childhood, The Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner Show -- "Overture, curtain, lights!"

I recently obtained a fairly large run of TV Guides dating from the mid 70's to the late 80's. Looking through them brought back these memories -- not just of Saturday Morning Television, or even television in general, but of a time past, back before there were jobs, mortgages, car payments and kids. Back when my biggest worry was "What's on next?"

I plan to use this blog to explore that past, touching on a host of topics whose only common thread is that they somehow impacted my childhood -- and in an odd, and maybe even scary way molded who I am now.

So fill up a bowl with your favorite sugar-coated cereal and scoot in really close. I hope you'll enjoy my reminisces and perhaps they'll even bring back some of your own memories as a Saturday Morning TV Zombie.

No comments: